Yoga Tools For Schools Inc. completed a pilot project with three Townsville schools during Term 3, 2012.
The three schools involved were Belgian Gardens State School, Currajong State School and Grammar Junior School.
This research project trained 26 local teachers to implement yoga-based exercises in the classroom each day for a period of six consecutive weeks.
The positive feedback and data received from this project was outstanding and is currently being analysed by a research team from James Cook University. The findings of this project are to be published.
The aim of the JCU research project to run alongside the YTFS pilot project was to document and analyse:
- Teachers' perceptions of the effects of the yoga tools on their classes.
- Usefulness and ease of application of yoga tools for teachers in their classes.
- Teachers' personal experiences of using yoga tools for themselves, eg. has it affected their attitude towards certain classroom situations? Has there been any over flow to other parts of their life or professional situation?
Expected outcomes of the research project are:
- Improved understanding of the effects of teaching yoga techniques in schools
- Evaluation of the pilot of Yoga Tools for Schools curriculum for teacher professional development
- Documentation and dissemination of research outcomes - at least one conference presentation and refereed publication.
The Executive Summary of this project is now available to read by clicking the following link. We will present further publications and presentations as they become available.